Saturday, December 1, 2012

Cyberpunk

    As long back as I recall, there was the Matrix, everyone has seen this movie. The idea of interfacing with a cyber-generated world in which any of our wildest dreams were made manifest through simple thought seems preferable to any hum-drum reality we live today. I am familiar with Johnny Mnemonic in its basest form, I remember fun films like The Fifth Element which had cyberpunk motifs.

    For me, cyberpunk represents the idealist views of a consumer nation, where things are represented in the most widely available medium imaginable, an international network of some sort. Recently I saw the remake of Total Recall, in which anyone can walk into a kiosk and essentially download a series of memories into their minds which are tailor-made to seem like their best vacation experience. I think fantasy reality is more appropriate, but doesn't sound as good I guess.

    While the Total Recall remake was tolerable, my favourite use of the genre has to be Deus Ex,  where bionics have become a commercially available product and your character is a security guard whom has wound up in some corporate conspiracy to illegally augment humans for profitable gain. There is more to it, much more. I suggest a look into it. I've long been interested in bionic enhancement, combining the human form with machinery to achieve greater feats beyond the fundamental limits of human capability and endurance, it's such a great topic for expansion in any fictional or realistic setting!

No comments:

Post a Comment