Sunday, December 2, 2012

Diversity in Science Fiction

    This is the good stuff. This is what excites me about sci-fi writing, seeing how it intertwines with our own reality. The idea of our positions in reality as used for the content of our stories creates a certain sense of tact for readers and allows them to better immerse themselves in it. It would seem to me that science fiction has become aware of itself and became something more in the process.

    The idea of creating a setting that was believable is very important, especially for a story trying to convey itself realistically, so it would make sense that its roots can trace back to real-world experiences. On the other hand, it does need to break new bounds somewhere, lest it be more non-fiction. This is something I'm just in the process of learning, but I think I can appreciate its complexity and usefulness. I am looking forward to seeing how my work will evolve over time as I garner life experience and a better understanding of worldly affairs.

    One of the best things I did, probably accidentally, was that the time line dates back to the very beginnings of my writing abilities, and while it is a chronology of events narratively, it is also a chronology of my improvement. When I realised this, I began to see similar instances more and more often. It's amasing how often we inject ourselves into our work unintentionally, but somehow it all makes sense when you draw connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment