Saturday, December 1, 2012

Tales from the Multi-verse

    Let me begin by saying this is probably the most difficult aspect of storytelling I've ever attempted to understand. As a reader of Kurt Vonnegut and Ray Bradbury, the issues of social speculation and conventional application of human study are far more complex than many readers would be able to grasp. I accept this challenge...

    Science Fiction appears to be the most influential aspect of my life and everything I do or think about. Such as it is, I try to use my influences to the best of my ability to explore not just that things work, but why they work and how. There is clearly a profound effect on the genre of science fiction revolving around these principles, I believe this was the case in the 60s, when people wanted to understand the applicable nature of reality to the stuff they read. Writers like Asimov, Heinlein, and Clarke are known as the "big three" in the genre because they redefined it, and made it something real to think about.

    Science fiction is now designed to make viewers think and accelerate their imagination by convincing them to see things that are not only possible, but even likely. Everything else, such as a war with extraterrestrial bugs, machine men, plasma rifles, etc. is just seasoning. The scientific and sociological aspects are the meat. These things are (to me) what makes great science fiction storytelling, although the look on Luke Skywalker's face when he discovered Leia was his sister was still pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment