Saturday, December 1, 2012

Magic Realism and Mythic Fiction

    By nature I'm a highly critical person, sometimes too much for my own good. I often pick apart fantastic details even if they don't need to be, but I will let them pass if they earn their place in the context of the narrative and don't simply just wave their hand and expect me to accept them. Magic realism has long been a part of my own work for a very long time, and I never even realised it until just recently. I know my work is less than perfect and as time goes on I'll see more and more errors in my work, but that's alright.

    It seems to me that magic realism has a lot to do with bending the ideal conventions of storytelling and using them for narrative effect. Many franchises I've followed utilise this in some fashion, such as Warhammer 40K, Halo and even Call of Duty which has moved onto the modern-fictional bandwagon akin to most (if not all) Michael Bay films. Halo is actually the best example I can possibly think of because of how literal it is. 

    Writers have gone through painstaking lengths to define just about everything there is in the universe for the last decade of its existence, almost to near pretentiousness. Every now and then, especially with the release of Halo 4 they seem to get even worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment