Saturday, December 1, 2012

Fantasy and Fantasy Gaming

    Ah, video games, where do I begin? I can't say many of them were fantasy games, but I got my fill regardless. My brother who played Everquest, and countless friends who have subsumed themselves with the omnipresent World of Warcraft. I couldn't get into the actual game simply because I never had the patience or the tolerance of being called "n00b" every five seconds. I still have a deep appreciation for the fantasy genre and its quirks, but being the science fiction type, have mainly preferred technology over magic.

    Fantasy works have constantly appeared over my life and have taught me much about establishing character in ways I've never thought possible. Something about fantasy that never ceases to amaze me it the very tactile quality that it has as far as characterisation goes. Again traveling back to Warhammer, there is this medieval aesthetic in which technology is highly advanced, but is fading away due to the haptic mistakes of historians and the deteriorating technology that remains from a long-forgotten age.

    It's really neat how mysterious everything is and even a rifle or suit of armour has its own origin story and unique history. These sorts of things inspire me greatly to write more and more, putting character wherever I can. While I'm not entirely sure how well this translates to games like WoW or Everquest, I can at least confirm the multiplayer quests that groups of friends embark upon to uncover greater spoils or bragging rights among the international community, which essentially fulfills the same purpose, and as for storytelling, it allows players to create their own legends. Great stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment